Recipe by Likkel
This is my number one requested recipe for family gatherings...and something that the kids love, as well!
Top Review by Faithfull
This was one of the most wonderful pasta fruit salads that I have ever tried! The flavor and texture were fresh and appealing. This recipe includes blueberries and it was a wonderful touch. My kids loved it and when I took it to a family potluck, the empty bowl was a good indicator that everyone else did, too! Thanks Likkel for another great recipe!
- 16 ounces acini di pepe pasta
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits (undrained)
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or thawed if frozen)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces mini marshmallows
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta, according to directions on package, until tender; drain, rinse under cold running water, then drain thoroughly and add to a large serving bowl.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 3/4 cup juice for use later. Cover & refrigerate pineapple and then pour the reserved juice into a medium sauce pan, adding sugar, eggs, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thick. Then remove it from the heat and stir into pasta, mixing well. Cover & refrigerate overnight.
- The next day add the drained pineapple, whipped topping, oranges, cherries, and blueberries, and marshmallows; blending lightly but, thoroughly. Cover & chill for 6 to 8 hours.
- *Make it low cal by replacing all but 1/4 cup of the sugar, eggs, and salt with a 5 oz. box of fat free instant vanilla pudding. Then follow the pudding directions using 1 1/4 of cold milk and the reserved pineapple juice instead of the 3 cups milk that the box will call for. You can skip step 2 of these directions (which is where you make your own pudding) and just stir the prepared non-fat pudding into the pasta, mixing it well and then cover & refrigerate it overnight.