Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
Acine de Pepe is a small, round pasta, hence the "Frog's Eye". My kids are wild about this recipe. It is their choice whenever we are asked to bring a dish for a pot luck.
- 314.66 ml acini di pepe pasta (uncooked)
- 566.99 g can pineapple chunks, drained (reserving 1/4 cup juice)
- 414.03 ml milk
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 96.38 g package instant vanilla pudding (I use regular, not sugar-free) or 42.52 g boxsugar free vanilla pudding (I use regular, not sugar-free)
- 226.79 g can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 (680.38 g) can mandarin orange sections, drained
- 709.77 ml mini marshmallows
- 118.29 ml flaked coconut
- Cook pasta in boiling water for 11 minutes.
- Drain well, rinsing with cold water to cool pasta.
- In large bowl, beat reserved pineapple juice, milk, sugar and pudding mix for 2 minutes.
- Gently stir in pasta and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 5 hours.
This salad was great! My kids loved it and it is definintly a make again. It doesn't taste like a 'pasta' salad, more like a fruit pudding.
This is lovely stuff! I'd never heard of frog eye salad before, but got assigned to bring it to a birthday dinner. I liked that your recipe used vanilla pudding instead of tons of whipped cream, and it was not hard to throw together. It makes a GIANT bowl and I was worried about bringing a bunch home, but everyone mowed through it and took away most of the leftovers, too. It has the nicest, light and fruity flavor, and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good sweet salad. Thanks.
I like the use in pudding in the recipe - I used Sugar Free with great results. I added WAY more fruit, as that's how I like mine. Taking it to a pot luck tomorrow evening. Thanks for posting!