Recipe by Boxerwing
Raise the lowly cabbage to something extraordinary! This technique of sautéing brings out a wonderful sweetness you never knew existed in cabbage. You can add different spices to this recipe: curry, caraway seeds, or hot pepper sauce are just suggestions. But try it plain first! Adapted from The Low-Carb Cookbook by Fran McCullough
Top Review by Loves To Cook but NOT clean up
I grew up on cabbage cooked just like this but my mom used to take a huge cake pan (double the size of a full sheet cake pan) and spread cooked white rice on the botton, layer the cooked cabbage over it, layer fried slices of kielbasa and then sprinkle shredded mozzarella all over it and put it in the oven until the cheese melted and started to brown a bit. Oh so good! A family of 6 almost always wiped it out and there were no leftovers!
Directions See How It's Made
- Core and very thinly slice the cabbage.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet (I use non-stick) over medium heat.
- When it is bubbling, add the cabbage.
- Salt and pepper the cabbage.
- Stir occasionally and cook until mostly wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and let cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage is starting to caramelize (brown), about 10 minutes.
- Do not let burn.
- Taste, adjust seasoning, and serve immediately.