Simply Chris's Note:
This is a fried pastry that my Croatian relatives make for special occasions. My grandmother, then my mother only made them for Christmas, but I have had them at weddings and other special family events at some of my cousins' homes. This recipe uses raisins, but some people use dates, prunes or other dried fruit. When I was young, my mom made these on Christmas Eve, and everyone got to help. After we grew up, she switched and would make them on Christmas day after church. That way we would all still be able to pitch in to help AND most important...eat some while they were still hot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water until it starts to foam.
- 2Mix together eggs, oil, vanilla, salt and sugar.
- 3Alternately add flour and warm water a little at a time until mixture is the consistency of pancake batter.
- 4Add yeast water to flour mixture, stirring well.
- 5Add raisins and mix well.
- 6Let sit in warm place, covered until it rises fully, about 2 1/2 hours.
- 7Drop by tablespoons full into hot oil.
- 8Do not put too many at a time in oil.
- 9Remove from oil when they pop back up to the surface and are a light golden brown.
- 10Drain on paper towels.
- 11Roll in granulated sugar while still warm.
Nutritional Facts for Frittula
Serving Size: 1 (1927 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.5
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 62.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 3.6 g