Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are so easy that I hesitate to post the recipe. They're a hit with kids, though, and tasty. Also good with sauteed mushrooms.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup crushed Fritos corn chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Combine the ground beef, corn chips, onion, garlic, egg, Tabasco, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Mix well and form into small meatballs.
- Brown the meatballs in oil.
- Place meatballs in a large pot, stir together the soup and water, and pour the soup mixture over the meatballs and stir gently to coat.
- Cover and simmer on low for about 1 hour.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
The corn chips made this just a little too salty, but otherwise this was an ok dish. The major scoring point was that I was able to pull this dish off without ruining it. That gets a thumbs up from me.
These went together nicely and had a great texture, they were just too bland for even the kids taste buds. I think I will make them again but add some herbs and so forth to the meatballs. We subbed tomato soup for the cream of mushroom, but other than that followed the directions exactly.
These were good. I'd probably ease up on the Fritos next time and add more garlic and Tabasco (we like it SPICY!). I followed the directions exactly and froze them for about a week. I just threw them into a covered cast iron pot on warm for about an hour and served with rice. They tasted exactly as they did before freezing. Thanks, Julesong.