Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a wonderful Cuban Style (Hamburger recipe). A family favorite, this comes from a friend from Florida by way of Cuba. It has unqiue taste that sets is a part from all the others, and everyone who tries this Ham Burger wants this recipe. There is no question this is my top recipe for the grill in the summer. Note, this recipe makes 6-8 regular sized burgers or 4 really big ones for a hungry people! I also use Walla Walla Sweet onions if you like a sweeter flavor in your onions. Tip with chedar cheese, colby-jack for even more flavor. SERVES 4 -8
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 spanish chorizo, sausage ground up
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (plain or italian seasoned for a kick of flavor)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 fresh mashed garlic cloves
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- salt & pepper, cooked patties
- Mix all ingredients and form into patties. Cook on the 1 inch rack on HI for 5 -8 minuted depending on how cooked you like it.
- Serve on a traditional American hamburger bun.
- Makes four quarter pounders or six to eight standard patties.
Hi there Starfire, living about 5 blocks down from Calle Ocho, where an original Fritas place is, I decided to try my hand at it, so I used your recipe as a stepping stone. I used all beef ground beef, chorizo, & instead of breadcrumbs I used saltines (that is the way we used to do it Cuba), used the same spices as well as smoked Spanish paprika & this is certainly not Cuban I used steak sauce, as well as everything you used. But the frita always has a mound of shoestring potatoes and is always is wrapped in some kind of white paper that is not wax or parchment. PS - they were awsome - oh yes they tasted just like they did in Cuba. They are usually served on something like a hamburger bun but not quite. Anyway - we had fun recreating and of course eating with corn on the cob and the usual salads. Thanks for posting, Manami ;)