Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Gourmet. October 1990.
- 8 cups torn frisee
- 1 head radicchio, shredded
- 2 Asian pears, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil or 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skinned (procedure follows)
- In a bowl combine the frisée, the radicchio, and the pears.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, the mustard, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oils in a stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
- Toss the salad with the dressing, divide it among 8 salad plates, and sprinkle each serving with some of the hazelnuts.
- To toast and skin hazelnuts:.
- Toast the hazelnuts in one layer in a baking pan in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are colored lightly and the skins blister. Wrap the nuts in a kitchen towel and let them steam for 1 minute. Rub the nuts in the towel to remove the skins and let them cool.