Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the American Dietetic's Association's "Healthy Cooking Across America". This is made with skim milk to hold down the fat and cholesterol counts. This came from the contributor's Danish grandmother (Grandma Jorgensen)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2-1 cup nonfat milk (skim)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine bread crumbs and milk; let stand 10 minutes. Regarding the milk, 1 cup turned out meatballs that were very loose, but I'm not sure how much would be right. (Please give feedback so that we can finetune this recipe.).
- Add eggs, seasonings and flour. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of mixer. Add beef and pork; mix just until combined.
- Make meatballs about 2 inches wide, using about 3 T. of meat mixture for each one. (A small ice cream scoop works great.).
- Melt butter over medium heat. Place meatballs in it. Flatten slightly. Cook 8-10 minutes until they're browned on both sides and no longer pink inside. You'll probably have to make in batches. Placed cooked ones on a platter and keep them warm while preparing others.
An interesting meatball!! My mixture seemed quite loose,but it fried up well with a little care. I wasn't too sure about the spices,and maybe next time would omit the allspice and clove and go for herbs instead. On the whole a tasty and simple meatball,that went down well with the family.