Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
When I have left over pinto beans, this is our favorite recipe. Once you taste it, you'll never settle for canned refried beans again. Queso Blanco is not a melting cheese but it becomes soft and creamy when heated. In this recipe you get yummy savory beans with creamy little bits of cheese. Delicious!
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans, undrained (canned pinto beans can be used)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 small finely chopped jalapeno, deseeded
- 1⁄4 cup lard (cooking oil can be used also) or 1⁄4 cup butter (cooking oil can be used also)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces queso blanco, grated
- Place beans and juice in blender or food processor. Blend just enough to break into small pieces.
- Cook and stir onion and jalapeno in hot lard or butter until tender. Stir in beans 1 cup at a time until they are all incorporated.
- Continue cooking and stirring constantly until mixture thickens and you can see the bottom of the pan as you stir.
- Add cheese and stir until well-blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: My home cooked pinto beans tend to be spicy. If you are using mild beans or canned beans, you might want to add a couple cloves of minced garlic and 1/2-1 teaspoon cumin.