Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A staple common to Cuban cooking is cooking black beans. Although they may seem common. they can be used in a variety of different dishes. They are served with white rice and as a topping,if you like,chopped onions, chopped parsley, drizzle of olive oil & a touch of vinegar. They are really wonderful!One can also add cooked chopped bacon as well.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 4 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled & chopped
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 1 medium green pepper, cut in half
- 2 teaspoons spanish paprika
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Place black beans and water in large stock pot with a med size grn pepper & med size onion cut in half; cover & boil 2 minutes;.
- Turn off heat & let stand covered 1 hour; and then remove onion & grn pepper from water.
- Remove the lid & add the rest of the ingredients, except vinegar, salt & pepper.
- There should be enough water to just cover the beans, so if needed add a bit of water or chicken stock.
- Cover & simmer until the beans are tender about 2 hours.
- Add vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Simmer long enough to warm the vinegar.
- Serve with white rice, picadillo & fried plantains.
4 1/2 stars actually. These are very good. I chose this recipe because the beans are cooked with the pepper but the pepper ios then removed. DH doesn't like green pepper so it was perfect for us. I made these tonight for dinner tomorrow and could help from taking a small bowl as a late night snack. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I found the directions to be a little confusing. For example, you have 4 cups water and 4 cups chicken stock but the use of these ingredients are not clear. I used chicken boullion and the 4 cups of water to cook the beans. After they sat for the hour I added just enough water to cover the beans and cooked for almost 2 hours. Anyway, they are very yummy and I will be making this again I am sure as they did turn out very good. Thanks for posting.