1/1 Photo of Frijoles (Mexican Style Pinto Beans)
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Beans are a part of everday eating in the Southwest. Frijoles are served either soupy in broth or mashed and fried (frijoles refritos- or refried beans). This mouthwatering recipe features both variations. Tip: If you want the beans extra spicy, do not remove the seeds from the chiles. Prep time does not include soaking. From Ladies Home Journal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak beans according to package directions; drain.
- 2Heat oil in stock pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 3Add salt pork; cook 2 minutes, until browned.
- 4Reduce heat to medium; add onions and chile and cook 4 minutes.
- 5Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- 6Add drained beans, water and cumin seed.
- 7Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 8Add salt and continue to cook 25 to 35 minutes more, until tender.
- 9(Can be made ahead. Cool. Transfer to large microwaveproof container. Cover and refrigerate overnight. To reheat: Microwave on high 10 minutes, stirring once after 5 minutes, until heated through.) Makes 7 cups.
- 10Refries Beans (frijoles refritos):.
- 11Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil or lard in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 12Add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until browned.
- 13Add 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- 14Add 2 cups cooked beans and 1/3 to 1/2 cup bean liquid to skilet.
- 15(Or, microwave 2 cups refrigerated beans and 1/3 to 1/2 cup bean liquid on High, 2 to 3 minutes, until room temperature, and add to skillet).
- 16Mash beans and liquid coarsely with back of wooden spoon or potato masher.
- 17Cook 1 to 2 minutes more, untilheated through, addingmore bean liquid or water if needed.
- 18Transfer beans to a food processor.
- 19Process just until smooth.
- 20Makes 2 cups (4 servings).
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frijoles (Mexican Style Pinto Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 133.0
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 9.7 mg
- Sodium 817.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 3.2 g