Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Plain pinto beans, from which refried beans are made. Add a small amount of sour cream with the tomato condiment if desired. Chef Carlotta Flores, owner of El Charro Cafe.
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 whole head of garlic, peeled and mashed
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 onion
- Pick over the beans, dicarding any dirt or debris. Rinse the beans thoroughly.
- Place in an 8 quart pot with 2 quarts of cold water. Add the garlic and bring to the boil.
- As soon as it boils, reduce the heat, and simmer without stirring for at least 2 hours, when the beans will be very tender.
- Salt to taste, and serve with the fresh tomato condiment.
- For the tomato condiment, mix together the tomato, oregano, vinegar and onion.