Recipe by Random Rachel
Zacatecas home style pinto beans - for ZWT7. From Saveur magazine.
Top Review by morgainegeiser
While this took a little time to make, it was simple to prepare and turned out very yummy. Husband had the crumbled cheese on his and said it was a nice addition. I had it without cheese and it was still very good.
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion
- 1⁄4 small onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tomatoes, cored and finely chopped
- crumbled Cotija cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring beans, garlic, whole pepper, 1/2 onion, and 8 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally until beans are tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make pico de gallo by combining diced jalapeño, diced onion, diced tomato and cilantro in a small bowl. Chill.
- Ladle cooked beans into bowls, and top with pico de gallo and crumbled cheese. Serve with warm tortillas.