Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These beans are wonderful as a side dish to accompany your favorite meat, or even for breakfast served alonside eggs. Delicious! Note: Preperation time does not include soaking the beans over night. To make this dish in no time at all you can used undrained canned pinto beans.
- 2 lbs pinto beans (washed, soaked in water overnight, and drained)
- 2 medium white onions (peeled and chopped)
- 8 large garlic cloves (diced)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 sprigs epazote
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (diced)
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 6 serrano chilies, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (do not use italian oregano)
- Place the beans in a large pot with half the onion, half the garlic, oil and epazote.
- Add 2 quarts water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until tender (35-45 minutes if done in a pressure cooker.)
- Add salt to taste.
- In a large saucepan or clay casserole, cook the diced bacon and chorizo until some of its fat is rendered, and add the remaining onion and garlic, and saute until the onion softens.
- Add the tomato and chile, and continue cooking until the tomato releases its juice (10 minutes).
- Add the cooked beans with their liquid and cook over a low flame for 20-30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Season with salt again to taste.