Prep 5 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
A great recipe for pinto beans. You can adjust the spice to your liking.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry pinto beans
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 bacon, slices
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon snipped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Soak beans in 4 cups water at least 5 hours.
- Place in large stockpot.
- Add beer and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain and crumble.
- Add bacon to beans along with onion, tomatoes, cilantro, salt and red pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
EXCELLENT and different! I elected to make these in a crockpot and the recipe turned out great. I used 2 1/2 cups dry pinto beans, 1 -12 oz (Texas made) Shiner Boch beer & 12 oz of water. I then cooked 3 hours on high. I admit to be hesitant about reserving the seasonings until the last 30 miutes, but it really did work out well. The beans had a nice flavor from the beer & my hubby raved. What's better than that? Thank you for sharing a recipe I'll use again! :-)
These are the best pinto beans I've ever eaten!! This is the most flavorful recipe and I know I'll be fixing these again. I served these with PanNan's Boerenkool Stamppot (Kale Hash) #33269. This is the second time I've prepared dried beans because the long process intimidated me. With these step-by-step instructions there is no need to be intimidated. Thanks for two great recipes!
These are good beans...I was hoping for more though. My daughter, 7, is a total bean nut and she was totally unimpressed. (and yes I know beer does not completely cook out so maybe it was that flavor...) I added a ton of salt to them at the end- otherwise followed the recipe exactly(even doubling it). Sorry=(