8 hrs 2 mins
REAL frijoles......beans.......frijoles en olla, or pot beans. No self respecting Hispanic, Mexican, or Indian home out here is without a pot of beans....all the time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The night before, put the beans in the pot you will use, and fill the pot to the top with water.
- 2In the morning, drain the water.
- 3Add fresh water, to a height of 4# over the beans.
- 4Add the pork, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
- 5Simmer on low on the stove all day, or in a crockpot.
- 6You may need to add water.
- 7The beans are done when they are soft if you smoosh one between you finger and thumb.
- 8It won't hurt them to cook longer, because even if they get mooshy they have their uses!
- 9If you should burn the beans, immediately drain them and switch to a new pot with new water.
- 10Add one raw potato, cut in half, to the beans.
- 11When the beans are done toss the potato, because the burnt taste will be in it.
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frijoles
Serving Size: 1 (740 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.4
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: