Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
REAL frijoles......beans.......frijoles en olla, or pot beans. No self respecting Hispanic, Mexican, or Indian home out here is without a pot of beans....all the time.
- The night before, put the beans in the pot you will use, and fill the pot to the top with water.
- In the morning, drain the water.
- Add fresh water, to a height of 4# over the beans.
- Add the pork, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
- Simmer on low on the stove all day, or in a crockpot.
- You may need to add water.
- The beans are done when they are soft if you smoosh one between you finger and thumb.
- It won't hurt them to cook longer, because even if they get mooshy they have their uses!
- If you should burn the beans, immediately drain them and switch to a new pot with new water.
- Add one raw potato, cut in half, to the beans.
- When the beans are done toss the potato, because the burnt taste will be in it.
never had any luck with beans and this recipe is awesome. finally feel like I can accomplish something the way my grandmother did things. thanks
YES! FINALLY! I have tried so many frijoles recipes and they always weren't exactly what I was looking for. This one is IT! Thank you..this is my bean recipe from now on. BTW...I used salt pork and refried them in butter...well...margarine actually. Thanks!!
I made this last night and served it with homemade tortillas and mexican rice. I've never been successful cooking with dried beans before, but these were great. I substituted oregano for the cumin and used a chuck of ham for the meat. A definte keeper.