Recipe by wildheart
REAL frijoles......beans.......frijoles en olla, or pot beans. No self respecting Hispanic, Mexican, or Indian home out here is without a pot of beans....all the time.
- 3 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin or 1⁄2 teaspoon comino
- 1 piece salt pork or 1 piece bacon or 1 piece ham
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before, put the beans in the pot you will use, and fill the pot to the top with water.
- In the morning, drain the water.
- Add fresh water, to a height of 4# over the beans.
- Add the pork, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
- Simmer on low on the stove all day, or in a crockpot.
- You may need to add water.
- The beans are done when they are soft if you smoosh one between you finger and thumb.
- It won't hurt them to cook longer, because even if they get mooshy they have their uses!
- If you should burn the beans, immediately drain them and switch to a new pot with new water.
- Add one raw potato, cut in half, to the beans.
- When the beans are done toss the potato, because the burnt taste will be in it.