1/4 Photos of Friggione (A Side Dish of Potatoes & Tomatoes & Peppers)
1 hr 10 mins
Jen T's Note:
A mix of canned tomatoes, potatoes, & peppers. A nice side dish to go with sausages, chops, steak, or chicken. As a vegetarian dish this makes a meal in a pan! NOTE: Do not hurry the cooking time as this tastes better as the liquid disappears and the mixture browns. Another of my 'Alison Holst' collection of made often dishes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 medium potatoes, cubed (approx 750g)
- 2 large onions
- 2 red peppers (or one of each) or 2 green peppers (or one of each)
- 1 (420 g) can tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano (in NZ. I use a can of 'Italian Seasoned Tomatoes')
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- 1Heat oil in large frypan. Non stick is best.
- 2Cut the potatoes into 1cm cubes and slice the onions and peppers.
- 3Add these to the hot oil and cover and cook over a low to moderate heat for about 20 minutes, stirring several times, until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Do not try to hurry this step by cooking on a high heat.
- 4Add the can of tomatoes and their juice.
- 5Cook uncovered for a further 15-30 minutes until the mixture darkens in colour and the liquid has reduced so that there is only a small amount left around the potatoes. Again do not use a high heat.
- 6Season to taste and sprinkle with the chopped parsley if using before serving.
- 7Serve Hot or warm reheating if neccesary if your meat is not ready at the same time.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Friggione (A Side Dish of Potatoes & Tomatoes & Peppers)
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.8
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 893.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano