Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A nice alternative to friendship bread.
- 1 cup amish starter (see recipezaar.com/321840)
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup blueberries (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- Mix batter, 2 cups flour, oil, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla and stir well.
- Add nuts, apples, raisins, and/or blueberries and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour and margarine well.
- Put batter into muffin tins well greased if not using liners. Sprinkle with topping on each muffin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until done.
I am not giving stars, as I made the muffins without the topping. . .and I believe they need the topping. They were quite bland without. Just a helpful tip for future chefs - USE THE TOPPING!
I made these for Thanksgiving and they are great. The comments were "These are the best muffins I've had!" from everyone. I did add raisins and toasted pecans to the mix. The only thing I did not do was the topping and don't think it was missed at all. This goes in the keeper file. Next time I'm going to try other fruits & nuts. Thanks for a great idea.