Here's the recipe for the starter for a fruit-packed Friendship Cake. This is made with apricot brandy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups apricot brandy
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) can sliced peaches
- 1 (19 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 (250 ml) jars maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- 2 (18 ounce) packages Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mix (white, golden, vanilla or lemon)
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1Day 1: in a large bowl, combine brandy (or starter from a friend), 2 cups sugar and peaches; cover; store at room temperature.
- 2Stir daily.
- 3Day 5: Add 2 cups sugar and pineapple.
- 4Stir daily.
- 5Day 10: Add 2 cups sugar and cherries.
- 6Stir daily.
- 7Day 15: Drain fruit mixture; divide fruit in half.
- 8Reserve half for later use.
- 9Divide juice to make 3 or 4"starters" (at least 1-1/2 cups juice for each).
- 10Give juice"starter" to friends for use within 1 to 2 days.
- 11TO MAKE CAKE: Heat oven to 350 F degrees.
- 12Grease three 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans.
- 13Combine half the fruit and nuts in a large bowl; flour with 1/2 pkg (about 2 cups) cake mix; set aside.
- 14Blend 1-1/2 packages cake mix, eggs and oil in another large bowl on low speed of mixer till moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- 15Pour batter over fruit-nut mixture; mix thoroughly.
- 16Pour into pans and bake 60 minutes.
- 17Do not open door or prick or pat to test for doneness.
- 18Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Friendship Fruitcake and Starter With Brandy
Serving Size: 1 (3371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2234.4
- Calories from Fat 779
- Total Fat 86.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 423.0 mg
- Sodium 599.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 358.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 339.7 g
- Protein 26.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mix