Prep 817 hrs 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 8 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup peach juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can peaches
- 1 (20 ounce) can chunk pineapple
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can fruit cocktail
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix (no pudding)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding (small box)
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- (Do not refrigerate). Keep on counter top in gallon jar.
- Stir several times daily.
- This will make enough fruit for 3 cakes.
- Cover jar with a cloth, not a lid.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, peach juice and pineapple juice, stir everyday for 2 weeks.
- Next combine 1 1/2 cups starter, 2 1/2 cups sugar and cut up peaches with juice, stir for 10 days.
- Then add 2 1/2 cups sugar and pineapple with juice, stir for 10 more days.
- Then add 2 1/2 cups sugar, fruit cocktail with juice and chopped up cherries, stir for 10 more days.
- Then drain fruit juice from fruit and give to friends for a starter 1 1/2 cups to 4 or 5 friends.
- To make the cake: mix all cake ingredients together, pour into greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 to 55 minutes.
- This cake freezes well if you would like to freeze a couple for later.
- To make the icing: Beat all icing ingredients until fluffy.
- Double icing recipe for three cakes.
I have made this cake many times. It is wonderful. Very moist and delicious. It is even better with just a light glaze. Always a winner.
I have made this fruitcake many times and always to rave reviews (especially from people who don't like fruitcake) but...I don'tuse fruit cocktail, just marachino cherries (2 small jars- no juice) and when I mix the cakes, I add 1 cup raisins, 1 cup walnuts, 1 cup pecans, and 1 cup coconut. It's rich but oh so tasty! With all that added, I never frost it.