720 hrs 50 mins
"Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"'s Note:
This recipe has been around for many years and is all over the internet, but thought I would add it for those who have never seen it. You must first make the yeast starter which takes 2 weeks and then go on to the fruit starter which takes 30 days. It's a fun thing to do with your children, allowing them to add the fruit each time and then make the cake. The cake is very moist! Enjoy! TIP=One package of dry active yeast= 2 1/4 teaspoons or 1/4 ounce)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sliced peach, drained and cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 3 maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast, plus
- 1 1/8 teaspoons dry active yeast
FRUIT STARTER (use 1 1/2 cups yeast starter plus)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 (29 ounce) can peaches
CAKE(use 1 1/2 cups fruit starter plus)
- 1YEAST STARTER:.
- 2Combine peaches, pineapple, cherries, sugar and yeast. Stir with wooden spoon 3 to 4 times the first day. Then stir daily for 2 weeks. Store in glass jar on counter with lid just barely set on.
- 3FRUIT STARTER:.
- 4Mix yeast starter, sugar, peaches and place on the counter in a gallon jar with lid. Let stand, do not refrigerate. Set aside for 10 days, stirring daily.
- 5On tenth day, add: 1 (30 oz.) can chunk pineapple and juice.
- 6Let stand 10 more days, stirring daily.
- 7On the 20th day, add: 1 (29 oz.) fruit cocktail and juice 1 (10 oz.) maraschino cherries and juice. Let stand 10 more days, stirring daily.
- 8On the 30th day, drain juice off and give 1 1/2 cups juice to 6 friends along with the recipe.
- 9There will be enough drained fruit for 4 (9x13 inch) cakes.
- 11Mix cake mix, pudding mix, eggs and oil. Add nuts and fruit. Spread evenly in greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Friendship Cake and Starter
Serving Size: 1 (3124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2142.3
- Calories from Fat 671
- Total Fat 74.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 214.0 mg
- Sodium 1141.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 347.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 290.6 g
- Protein 21.6 g