Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This recipe has been around for many years and is all over the internet, but thought I would add it for those who have never seen it. You must first make the yeast starter which takes 2 weeks and then go on to the fruit starter which takes 30 days. It's a fun thing to do with your children, allowing them to add the fruit each time and then make the cake. The cake is very moist! Enjoy! TIP=One package of dry active yeast= 2 1/4 teaspoons or 1/4 ounce)
- 1 cup sliced peach, drained and cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 3 maraschino cherries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry active yeast, plus
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons dry active yeast
FRUIT STARTER (use 1 1/2 cups yeast starter plus)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (29 ounce) can peaches
CAKE(use 1 1/2 cups fruit starter plus)
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 (18 ounce) yellow cake mix (not the pudding kind)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packageinstant vanilla or 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- YEAST STARTER:.
- Combine peaches, pineapple, cherries, sugar and yeast. Stir with wooden spoon 3 to 4 times the first day. Then stir daily for 2 weeks. Store in glass jar on counter with lid just barely set on.
- FRUIT STARTER:.
- Mix yeast starter, sugar, peaches and place on the counter in a gallon jar with lid. Let stand, do not refrigerate. Set aside for 10 days, stirring daily.
- On tenth day, add: 1 (30 oz.) can chunk pineapple and juice.
- Let stand 10 more days, stirring daily.
- On the 20th day, add: 1 (29 oz.) fruit cocktail and juice 1 (10 oz.) maraschino cherries and juice. Let stand 10 more days, stirring daily.
- On the 30th day, drain juice off and give 1 1/2 cups juice to 6 friends along with the recipe.
- There will be enough drained fruit for 4 (9x13 inch) cakes.
- Mix cake mix, pudding mix, eggs and oil. Add nuts and fruit. Spread evenly in greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.