Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 6 cups brandied fruit (See recipe for Brandied Fruit Starter)
- 3 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) package flaked coconut
- 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon butter pecan flavoring
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Drain and set aside the brandied fruit starter, saving the liquid to make more starter.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, dates, coconut, pecans, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl beat eggs well. Add sugar and beat well.
- Add the drained brandied fruit, vanilla, orange extract, butter and nut flavoring, and oil.
- Combine both mixtures, stirring by hand untill well blended.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured Bundt or 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake tester placed in cake comes out clean.
- The cake may need to be covered with foil during the last part of the baking to prevent too much browning.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan and turn out.
- The cake can also be baked in six small (6 x 3 1/4 x 2) loaf pans. The cooking time for the small pans is about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.