Recipe by pat 70
New twist - slightly lower in fat and sugar, than the popular Amish Friendship Bread
- 2 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup 1% fat buttermilk
- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 honey
- 1 package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups almonds, chopped coarse
- 2 cups dried cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large non reactive bowl, mix 3/4 cup of the skim milk, the buttermilk, 3/4 cup of the flour, 1 t.
- sugar, and the yeast.
- Set aside for ten minutes or untilthe mixture starts to bubble.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the remaining ingredients, except for the almonds and cherries and mix well.
- Fold in the nuts and cherries.
- Lightly wipe four 10x5x2 inch loaf pans with vegetable oil, divide the dough among the pans and bake for one hour of until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.