Recipe by Sackville
I tried many recipes before I found this one and I think it is the best baked bean recipe ever!! It is worth every single minute of cooking, enjoy!!
Top Review by Chrissyo
Friedel, Thank you for posting this recipe. It is the best baked bean recipe I have tried AND I have tried many recipes in the past 6 months. It is well worth the time spent in cooking these beans. I was thinking that the vinegar must help to soften the beans. My family loved them. I am actually eating baked beans on toast for breakfast right now as I type this review. I just couldn't wait to tell you that they turned out fantastic!!! The addition of bacon was so self-indulgent but I ain't complaining. ;-)
- 1 lb white pea beans
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in cold water.
- Rinse beans, then place in a saucepan along with the cold water.
- Heat water to boiling and simmer beans for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Place onion slices in the bottom of a 6 cup casserole.
- Mix seasonings and turn into the pot.
- Add beans and water to cover.
- Arrange bacon on top, before covering and baking in an oven for 7 hours at 250 F.
- In the middle of the cooking, when the beans have become soft enough, remove 1 cup of beans, mash and then stir back into the pot.
- Cover and continue to bake, adding water as needed to keep the beans just covered.
- One hour before serving, remove cover to darken the beans.