Prep 8 hrs
Cook 8 hrs
I tried many recipes before I found this one and I think it is the best baked bean recipe ever!! It is worth every single minute of cooking, enjoy!!
- 1 lb white pea beans
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, sliced (optional)
- Soak beans overnight in cold water.
- Rinse beans, then place in a saucepan along with the cold water.
- Heat water to boiling and simmer beans for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Place onion slices in the bottom of a 6 cup casserole.
- Mix seasonings and turn into the pot.
- Add beans and water to cover.
- Arrange bacon on top, before covering and baking in an oven for 7 hours at 250 F.
- In the middle of the cooking, when the beans have become soft enough, remove 1 cup of beans, mash and then stir back into the pot.
- Cover and continue to bake, adding water as needed to keep the beans just covered.
- One hour before serving, remove cover to darken the beans.
Friedel, Thank you for posting this recipe. It is the best baked bean recipe I have tried AND I have tried many recipes in the past 6 months. It is well worth the time spent in cooking these beans. I was thinking that the vinegar must help to soften the beans. My family loved them. I am actually eating baked beans on toast for breakfast right now as I type this review. I just couldn't wait to tell you that they turned out fantastic!!! The addition of bacon was so self-indulgent but I ain't complaining. ;-)
these are the best baked beans I've ever tasted! A little tangy, a little sweet - just plain good. Absolutely worth the time and effort.
I agree - the best ever! Try cooking them in the crockpot, if you don't want to have your oven on all day. I still simmered for 30 minutes, then cooked in the crockpot, adding a bit more water, on high for 8 hours, then on low for 2. Still a lot of cooking time, but less confining...and still AWESOME! I'll never buy beans again. Thanks for a great recipe! wmg