Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I tried many recipes before I found this one and I think it is the best baked bean recipe ever!! It is worth every single minute of cooking, enjoy!!
- Soak beans overnight in cold water.
- Rinse beans, then place in a saucepan along with the cold water.
- Heat water to boiling and simmer beans for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Place onion slices in the bottom of a 6 cup casserole.
- Mix seasonings and turn into the pot.
- Add beans and water to cover.
- Arrange bacon on top, before covering and baking in an oven for 7 hours at 250 F.
- In the middle of the cooking, when the beans have become soft enough, remove 1 cup of beans, mash and then stir back into the pot.
- Cover and continue to bake, adding water as needed to keep the beans just covered.
- One hour before serving, remove cover to darken the beans.