Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I know there are hundreds of lasagna recipes out there. Personally, I think this one is great when you want to make lasagna but don't happen to have cottage or ricotta cheese in the house. Thanks to Tara Krische and her "I Hate Ricotta" lasagna recipe (#29663) for the inspiration.
- 6 -8 no-cook lasagna noodles
- 1 lb quorn pieces or 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (500 g) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 15 leaves fresh basil
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook Quorn or meat with onion and garlic until browned.
- Drain if you're using meat, then add the can of tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, basil and water.
- Let simmer for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the spinach in a bit of butter or broth until wilted.
- In a baking dish (I use a round dish, but I think a 10 x 10 inch one would work well too) spread 1/2 cup meat sauce, covering bottom.
- Place lasagna noodles lengthwise over sauce, overlapping edges.
- Cover with more sauce, a bit of spinach and a touch of cheese.
- Add another layer of noodles, more sauce, a bit of cheese and spinach.
- Repeat until your dish is nearly full or the sauce starts to run out.
- Save 1/2 cup of sauce to go over the final layer of noodles.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cover and bake about 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted through.
- Turn on the grill and bake for five minutes or until the cheese is browned.
- Let stand for five minutes before cutting and serving.