Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
Delicious crispy Yucca spears are smothered with a creamy spicy Peruvian sauce made of goat cheese. Delicious as an appetizer. The sauce may also be used as a salad dressing or even for pasta.
- 1 -2 yucca root (cassava)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 fresh yellow aji limo chiles, seeded (you may add more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces fresh farmer cheese (ricotta or feta (regular or non-fat)
- vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup milk (non-fat may be used)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Peel and rinse yuccas.
- Cut in 2 or 3 pieces depending on the size.
- Cook yuccas in salted water until soft and tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and cool.
- Cut yuccas in ½ x 2 inches (1.5 x5 cm).
- Heat oil in a skillet and fry yuccas until golden. Season.
- Drain fat in paper towel.
- Yucca sticks can be frozen until ready to use.
- Remove from freezer and place immediately in hot oil until golden and crispy.
- Serve with Huancaína Sauce as an appetizer.
- Huancaína Sauce:.
- Place ají in a blender.
- Pour milk and blend.
- Sauté onion with garlic in oil until cooked.
- Add this mixture to blender together with the cheese.
- While blending add oil until a creamy sauce is obtained.