Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very favorable way to cook squash. I tried it on my family and they loved it. I found the recipe at ElectricScotland.com, but I substituded the bacon strips with bacon grease.
- 1 yellow squash, cut 1/4 in. slices
- 1 zucchini, cut 1/4 in. slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons diced canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease
- Melt bacon grease in large skillet.
- Add onion, squash, and tomatoes, sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook over low-medium heat for 15 min.
- ,or until tender, stirring several times.
Mmmmm. Have made 5-6 squash recipies so far and this is whole family's favorite. Easy to throw together and great use of garden veggies!! Will be eating this again and again this summer.
A very good recipe! Instead of the canned tomatoes, I washed and halved fresh cherry tomatoes and put them in for the last 10 minutes of cooking. The bacon was a good idea.
This tasted pretty good. since I had to fry bacon to get the grease I just added the cooked bacon as well. Thanks Tim Ross