Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
So much fun for Halloween. The kids love them, and it actually is a tasty way to enjoy a hotdog because the strips brown on all sides. Toasting buns is optional, but we like them that way.
- 4 turkey hot dogs or 4 other hot dogs, your preference
- 4 hot dog buns or 4 hamburger buns
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- assorted condiments
- Slice hotdogs in half lengthwise, then each half into thirds lengthwise to make 6 strips from each hotdog. Make a few shallow cuts along the length of each strip on the "skin" side. This will help them curl into worms as they cook.
- Open hotdog buns and thinly spread butter on the cut sides of buns.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Toast buns, cut side down in skillet til browned and toasty. You may need to do this in batches. Remove buns from skillet and keep warm.
- Place hotdog strips in same hot skillet. Toss and cook til curly, hot, and browned to your family's liking. Serve strips on toasted buns and top with desired condiments.
Made with the g'babes and after 2 days, I've enough entertainment already...and maybe a reason to drink.
What a great idea!!! The kids had so much fun and the blood/ketchup idea was perfect! Thank you, kitchenslave03, for a great recipe! Made for the Think Pink Tag Game In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, October 2008.
you can add "blood" aka ketchup to gross them out further