Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I serve this on Chinese New Year at the family dinner.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons chinese black beans
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 cup clams juice
- cornstarch roux
- 2 lbs fresh whole catfish
- In a saucepan add oil, black bean, chili flakes, ginger and garlic and lightly sauté. Add in sugar, oyster sauce, clam juice and cornstarch roux to lightly thicken and keep warm.
- Take the whole catfish and clean inside and outside and with a chef knife make 3 slice along the side of the catfish about 2” apart and season with salt the inside and outside and cover the catfish with cornstarch and pat off extras cornstarch.
- In a wok halfway fill with oil over a high heat to 350° and place the catfish head first and lower catfish into the hot oil and deep fry to a golden brown and with a wok spatula of hot oil pour over the catfish. Place the cooked catfish onto a large serving platter and pour the spicy black bean sauce over the catfish.