Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From “The Indian Menu Planner”. Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005.
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced onions or 1⁄8 cup dehydrated onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs turnips, quartered
- water, to cover Turnips for boiling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 cup oil, for shallow frying
- If you are using sliced onions, fry them until crisp in 1 tbsp oil, then coarsely grind them. Set onions aside.
- If using dehydrated onions, just set aside. DO NOT REHYDRATE!
- Place quartered turnips in a deep pot and cover with water. Boil them until soft.
- Remove the turnips from the water and, using a piece of muslin, squeeze out as much water as you can. Discard all of the liquid.
- Mash the turnips, adding the onions, salt, chili powder, and garam masala. Mix well to combine.
- Divide into 8 pieces and flatten into patty shape with wet hands and pat dry.
- Fry in ¼ c oil until golden brown.
- Serve hot.