Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
(Batter Dipped Tomatoes)
- 4 medium tomatoes, half ripe
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- oil, for frying
- Wash tomatoes, but do not peel.
- Cut into 3/4-inch slices.
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Combine flour, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Dust tomatoes in flour mixture on both sides.
- Add evaporated milk to rmaining flour mixture to make a thick batter.
- Dip floured tomatoes in batter.
- Fry in hot oil 1/2-inch deep until golden brown on both sides.
great receipe!!!!! my mother raised 7 kids with this one. she perked it up with a simple white sauce made with flour,milk,and butter,poured over right before serving.
I followed the recipe exactly, the batter did not stick to the tomatoes for some reason & by the time the little bit of batter that did stick was "golden brown" the tomatoes were so mushy that they had to go in the garbage. Would not attempt to make these again.
The batter didn't stick well to all of them and too much on others trying to get to coat. I never tried evaporated milk I think next time I will stick to regular milk but it still was bad the tomatoe had good flavor.