Recipe by Samsara
This recipe uses the fried tofu cubes you can find in Asian markets. It requires very little work and can be prepared in minutes. I generally serve the tofu at room temperature rather than warm because the sauce, unlike most commercially prepared sweet and sour sauces, is much more sour than sweet! If you can't find fried tofu cubes, feel free to fry your own using a recipe like #101891.
- 8 ounces deep fried tofu
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, heat water over medium high heat. Once water begins to boil, add the tofu. This will rinse the frying oil off and bring the tofu to room temperature. Boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove tofu from the water and drain the saucepan. Place tofu on a towel to dry.
- Return the saucepan to the stove and add the vinegar, sugar, and salt to it. Simmer until it reaches a slightly syrupy consistency, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingrediants. Serve in a small dipping bowl alongside tofu.