Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from a local Indian restaurant here in my hometown. You can substitute chicken or fish for the tofu.
- 2 lbs firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 large green pepper, sliced into 2 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté tofu pieces until crispy and browned. Remove tofu from skillet and set aside.
- Sauté onion and green pepper until onion is translucent then add ginger and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 min until fragrant, then stir in the curry powder.
- Return tofu to skillet and add tomato sauce, coconut milk, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Season with salt and pepper.and stir all together.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This was fantastic! I use to go to this restaurant where they served chicken curry but the ownership changed and so did the recipe. I have missed that flavor ever since and have tried many different recipes trying to get even close to it. This recipe is that flavor! Thanks so much for posting it!
Good curry. Enough spices and plenty of sauce which we like. Used hot madras curry, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a couple of swirls on the pepper-mill. Since I do not like whole cloves in a curry I used 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. I think that was a little too much and next time I'll use only 1/8 teaspoon. This time I made it with tofu but will make it with chicken too. Thanks for posting. Made for India -- More Than Just Curries Tag Game -- March 2010.