I got this from Better Homes and Gardens. A delicious way to eat tofu!
Make and share this Fried Tofu and Spinach Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (12 ounce) packagelight extra firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard or 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 6 cups torn spinach
- 1 bunch watercress (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup sliced fresh button mushrooms or 1 cup enoki mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or 1 cup yellow cherry tomato
- 1 medium red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Cut tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch slices.
- In a 2-quart rectangular baking dish arrange slices in a single layer.
- Pour tamari sauce over tofu; turn slices to coat.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for vinaigrette, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine vinegar, ginger, sugar, mustard, and salt.
- Cover and blend or process until combined.
- With blender or processor running, add the 1/3 cup oil in a thin steady stream.
- Blend or process for 15 seconds more.
- Drain tofu, discarding tamari sauce.
- In a shallow dish combine cornmeal and sesame seeds.
- Carefully dip tofu slices in cornmeal mixture to lightly coat both sides.
- In a large nonstick skillet cook tofu in the 2 teaspoons hot oil for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp and hot, carefully turning once.
- (You may need to cook tofu in two batches; avoid crowding the skillet.) In an extra-large bowl combine spinach, watercress, mushrooms, tomatoes, and red onion.
- Pour the vinaigrette over spinach mixture; toss to coat.
- Divide among 4 dinner plates.
- Cut the tofu slices in half diagonally.
- Arrange the tofu over spinach mixture.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional sesame seeds.
- Makes 4 servings.
I started by pressing the tofu before marinating. I just used two dinner plates and two 32 oz cans on top for 15-20 minutes to push all that excess moisture out. This helps the tofu absorb the marinade more completely and also to help it fry more effectively. This salad was wonderful! I left the watercress out (like everyone else) because I couldn't locate any in our local grocery stores. No matter, it was still wonderful! A fresh and different dressing and the breading on the tofu was yummy! I think next time I try this I'd like to swap out the cornmeal with panko. I'd bet that would be equally delicious and give it a more delicate touch that I imagine would be extremely palate-pleasing. Thanks so much for posting and sharing this recipe with us!
Good and interesting salad. I also didn't use the watercress (couldn't find any) or sesame seeds (out of) but still enjoyed this very easy and different supper salad. Thanks for sharing!
Oh My, Oh my, My Dh raved and raved about this recipe. We both enjoyed it for dinner last eve. Loved the fried Tofu, It goes so well with the Spinach salad and the dressing is so tasty. I didn't use the watercress as I couldn't find any,Used some baby greens instead. I will be making this often for a good summer time meal. Thank you Sharon.