Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a recipe that my sister taught me. It's really quick and easy to make, and delicious!
- 250 g extra firm tofu
- peanut oil, to fry
- 30 ml soy sauce
- 30 ml ketjap manis
- 20 ml oyster sauce
- 2 drops fish sauce
- hoisin sauce (I recommend #92803)
- sesame seeds
- Cut your tofu into 1cm cubes.
- Fry the tofu in some peanut oil for about 3 minutes, turning regularly, until it is a pale golden colour.
- Add the Soy Sauce, Ketjap Manis, Oyster Sauce, and Fish Sauce, and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Place on a plate, drizzle over some Hoisin Sauce, sprinkle on some sesame seeds, and serve.
- NOTE: If you don't have extra firm tofu, you can place firm tofu (Or possibly soft/silken, although you'd have to be very careful) between two sheets of paper towelling, and place a weight such as a stack of dinner plates on top, to squeeze the water out of the tofu. Otherwise, this recipe can be made using silken tofu, except you could scramble it, rather that cut it into cubes.
It wouldn't be fair of me to rate this as I deviated from the recipe. Being vegetarian I omitted the Oyster sauce and fish sauce. I did also dip my tofu in some cornflour before frying to give it a crispy coating. I decided to still try the recipe as tofu makes up a large part of my diet and wanted to see if this dish could be changed to a vegetarian version. The result was OK Very salty but I didn't use the hoisin as the soys formed a nice coating sauce this may have been the reason it was too salty. As for preparation it was very simple although I would recommend a good pressing of the tofu before you fry it, otherwise you end up with a small nuclear explosion in your pan...
Fantastic recipe for instant tofu gratification. All my favourite sauces combined. Yum!
Mmmm, this was an interesting detour on the grand road of tofu! I really liked the combo of different flavors from the different sauces. I enjoyed this over a nice fresh salad of spring greens. Scrumptious. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us, and be sure to thank your sister for me!