Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is your basic fried potatoes and onions. Just the way my grandma use to make when I was growing up.
- 3 -4 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons bacon grease
- Peel potatoes and slice potatoes lengthwise almost all the way to the bottom of the potato, then turn potato and slice all the way through the potato.
- You will get french fried potatoe slices.
- (Or slice how you like them) As you slice your potatoes put them in a bowl of cold water to cover.
- Peel onion and cut in half then in slices.
- Heat shortening in skillet over medium high heat until hot.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Put potatoes in a skillet and add onions and salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Fry potatoes and onions in shortening for Aprox.
- 10 minutes covered without turning, until they are browned.
- Uncover and turn potatoes and fry another 10 or 15 minutes until nicely browned.
Made these last night and reminded me of my mom making them when we were growing up. I used canola oil to fry in and they were still delicious. Thanks for the recipe!
I've been making potatoes like this for years-it's a southern thing. They are excellent and the only thing I do different is when they're done, I put cream cheese on top and melt. YUM YUM
It was pointed out to me that I had posted my review of your recipe on another recipe. Here is the review I posted. I liked fried potatoes and I thought I would this a try. The onions added a nice flavor addition. I added a little butter along with the shortening. Will have to make my fried potatoes with onions more often. Thanks Sheri-BDB Bullwinkle