Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
An adopted recpe from 2004... haven't tried it yet...
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces (about 3 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese wine or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 10 dried red chilies
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons green ginger, shredded
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Marinate chicken with salt, five- spice powder and sesame oil, set aside. Mix water, light soy sauce, wine and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Dissolve cornstarch and 2 tablespoons.
- water in a small bowl.
- Heat oil until very hot and fry chicken pieces until brown.
- Remove chicken and fry dried chilies, garlic and ginger for 2 minutes.
- Add scallions, water, wine and soya mixture. Bring to a boil, add corn starch mixture and allow to thicken.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve over hot rice.