Most of my experiments aren't worth saving, but I actually want to remember what I did this time so am posting the recipe for the brown sugar caramelized sweet potatoes that I made. This recipe is perfect for cooking for 1-2, and only takes a few minutes. I used some very skinny home grown sweet potatoes I picked up at a Farmer's Market and recommend you use potatoes that will slice into small discs rather than huge ones.
- Slice the sweet potatoes thinly, approximately 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Melt butter in a large hot frying pan over medium-high heat, then places slices in the pan in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt.
- Fry the potatoes until lightly browned on one side, then flip over each slice. You'll need to watch them carefully and move the slices in the hottest part of the pan to the edges so that they all get browned. Adjust the heat down to medium if needed to keep them from browning too quickly. Total browning time took me about 5-7 minutes.
- When both sides are lightly browned, sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon across the top. Wait 1-2 minutes and then toss the potatoes until the brown sugar is caramelized (approx 1 more minute).
- Remove from pan and serve immediately.