Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
delicious side or appetizer
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, chopped
- In a saucepan, combine the broth and saffron and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, butter, and salt.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer the rice to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Let cool slightly, then stir in the whole egg and yolk.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Place the flour and breadcrumbs on 2 separate plates.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Combine the prosciutto and mozzarella and divide the mixture into 12 equal portions.
- Moisten your hands with water.
- Scoop up 1/4 cup of the rice and flatten it into a disk in your hand.
- Place one portion of the prosciutto/mozzarella mixture in the center.
- Mold the rice over the filling, shaping it into a ball.
- Roll the ball in the flour, then the egg whites, and then the breadcrumbs.
- Place on a wire rack to dry for at least 15 minutes.
- Continue to make 12 balls.
- Rinse your hands frequently to keep the rice from sticking to them.
- In a deep fryer, add enough oil to cover the rice balls by 1-inch once they are added.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees F. on a deep-frying thermometer.
- Gently add a few of the rice balls into the oil.
- Fry until golden brown and crisp all over, about 2-3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove and transfer to paper towels.
- Fry the remaining balls in the same way.
- Serve hot.