An appetizer from the Lindsay Olive Company. They suggest substituting 5-6 tablespoons of dried tomato tapenade or pesto for the anchovy paste if you like.
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 dozen ripe pitted extra-large olives
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs or 3⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- olive oil, for frying
- Make a paste of the garlic, anchovy paste, lemon zest, thyme and basil.
- Stuff olives using a pastry bag.
- Roll stuffed olives in the flour, dip in eggs and then roll in crumbs.
- Fry in oil at 250 to 275 degrees until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towels.
- Serve hot.
These were wonderful. We had them in a local restaurant recently, but these were better. We couldn't get extra large olives, or ancovy paste (minced up about 4 anchovies instead) but it didn't matter. These were more than a 5 star recipe tonight!