The fried stuffed avocado has become quite popular lately showing up in a few restaurants in South Texas. If you see it on the menu, make sure you order it. They are all different. Here is one of the versions I found from a restaurant in Austin. I'm sure that you could make your own version. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Fried A ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 shrimp, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh pressed garlic
- 2 tablespoons pico de gallo
- 10 ounces white wine
- 3 ounces cream
- 2 tablespoons manchego cheese
- 2 ounces salsa or 2 ounces pasilla chili sauce
- artichoke heart, if desired
Chili Relleno Batter (use 2 cups)
- 1Take the ½ avocado and remove the skin, leaving avocado ½ whole. Take a scoop and.
- 2remove some of the flesh around the seed whole to allow for more filling.
- 3Dust with flour and wrap in plastic and freeze.
- 4Dip the avocado in the relleno batter removing some batter from the hole and deep fry.
- 5Heat, sauté and cook the shrimp with garlic and pico. Deglaze with white wine and add cream to bring to a boil. Add manchego cheese and cook until thickened.
- 6Fill the hole with the shrimp mixture and pour sauce around rim and serve.
- 7Serve on a large round plate and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- 9Some restaurants fill both halves of avocado, put the halves together batter or dust with flour and deep fry for a couple of minutes.
- 11Relleno Batter:.
- 12To prepare, place flour in a mixing bowl and add egg yolks, salt, oil, and beer.
- 13Stir batter until thoroughly mixed.
- 14Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours or as long as 24 hours - the longer the better, to a point.
- 15Just before using batter, stir it well again.
- 16In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gently fold egg whites into batter.
- 17Fry in oil at 360°F.
Browse Our Top Tex-Mex Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tex-Mex Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Stuffed Avocado
Serving Size: 1 (1096 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1639.0
- Calories from Fat 720
- Total Fat 80.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.6 g
- Cholesterol 646.8 mg
- Sodium 11191.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 42.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pico de gallo