Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
This first time I heard of this I thought to myself you got to be kidding but this is a totally wonderful dessert and can be presented in a most elegant setting or a casual one. The recipe is one that comes from a resturant called Farradday's. I am lucky enough to know one of the chefs who worked there and was nice enough to share the recipe with me.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- granulated sugar
- oil (for frying)
- whipped cream
- mint sprig (optional)
- Wash and stem strawberries and pat dry with paper towels.
- Put flour in a shallow dish.
- Beat egg and milk together in a bowl.
- Mix cinnamon and graham cracker crumbs in a shallow dish.
- Dredge Strawberries in flour, then in egg/milk and then roll in graham cracker mixture.
- Have enough oil heated for deep frying.
- Deep fry strawberries for 1 to 2 minutes or until coating is crisped.
- Drain on paper towels and roll in sugar.
- Place strawberries (about 4 per serving depending on size of berries) on a plate with small dollops of whipped cream between and garnish with mint.
WOW!! I had a ton of strawberries - ones from my own garden and more received from a CSI we belong to - and was tired of shortcake, smoothies and ice cream - this totally fits the bill - a new favorite for sure. Thanks for being daring and sharing!! YUM.
This was delicious and fun! It was kind of like biting into strawberry Jam with the sugar on the outside.
What a odd way to cook fruit. Not that i'm saying this is a bad recipe because it's not at all. It's just weird to put a hot, whole, deep fried strawberry in my mouth. At the same time the people i made these for went crazy for them. So maybe it's a preference thing. I also used some bananas that i cut in half. I liked those much better. The banana seems to get creamy in the coating. Also when dipping the flour coated fruit into the milk/egg mixture, make sure you completely cover the fruit because the graham cracker crumbs won't stick. My first couple of fruit pieces came out spotty due to the fact that i was rushing.