Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a simple appetizer or a party warmer with drinks. We have this at home nearly all the time, even the grandkids love it. hese can be eaten hot or cold. Hot I serve them with curry and cold with drinks.
- 200 g yellow split peas
- 1 1⁄2 pints water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 fresh green chilies, chopped
- 1 dried red chili, chopped and seeded
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- In a pot put the split peas with the water, salt, chilli powder, ground cumin and turmeric. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer till the peas are just soft.
- Remove from the heat drain the peas and allow to cool.
- Set aside 3 tbsp of the cooked peas and process the rest in a blender.
- Mix by hand the chillies, onion and the garlic into the processed peas.
- With damp hands form the pea mixture into balls the size of a wallnut, pushing some of the reserved peas on to the outsides of the balls.
- Heat some oil in a NON STICK pan, fry the balls till golden. Drain and kitchen paper.