Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
Fried shrimp with a spicy orange sauce.
- 2 lbs large raw shrimp, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (12 ounce) jar orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- additional vegetable oil
- Peel, devein, and butterfly shrimp, leaving tails intact.
- Sprinkle butterflied shrimp lightly with garlic powder.
- Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Process orange marmalade, lemon juice, orange juice, horseradish, and mustard in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Set sauce aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and paprika in a large bowl; stir well.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup oil, stirring until mixture leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball.
- Gradually add water, stirring until blended (batter will be very thick).
- Dip several shrimp into batter.
- Fry shrimp, a few at a time, in deep hot oil (360º) for 2 or 3 minutes or until golden.
- Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Place shrimp on a large baking sheet and keep warm in a 200º oven.
- Repeat procedure with remaining shrimp and batter.
- Serve shrimp with reserved sauce.
This was sooo good! We loved the dipping sauce. I'm thinking this would be great with a little coconut in the shrimp batter... Will definitely make this again.