Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Combine the flour, sugar, egg, ice water, 2 tbsp vegetable oil, salt,cayenne and sauce in a bowl.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and dip in the batter.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep, heavy pot or electric fryer to 350.
- Fry the shrimp in small batches, in the hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
My picky kids ate it so I had to give it 5 stars. The shrimp were crispy and flavorful. I added all the seasonings mentioned to the batter with the addition of a few shakes of Frank's Red Hot sauce. We all enjoyed it and I will make again. Used the leftover batter to fry some onion rings. Yum.
I am highly allergic to all seafood, however, I ventured out and tried this recipe for my family. They are in need for some culinary differentiation! I donned gloves and a mask to give this a try. Needless to say, my husband and kids really enjoyed this recipe. Thank you.
Very good! Followed recipe exactly and then accidentally dumped the bag of shrimp into the batter and it was watery...I was worried that it would be ruined, but I tossed in some more flour and an egg and they turned out so good.