I partially winged it and partially borrowed from other recipes I've tried before. This rice was cooked in a Zojirushi Fuzzy Logic Rice cooker (5 cups), which is like the Porsche of rice cookers. Most of the vegetables where chopped with the slop chop. The ginger and the garlic where pressed in a hand-grater.
- Rinse the rice in cold water. Change the water as needed until the water is hardly white. When you are done, add the rice to the bottom of the inside of the rice cooker.
- Mix the sausage, chicken, carrot, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chicken-broth, peanut oil, the white part of the spring onions. Save the green part of the spring onions, the cilantro, and the eggs for later.
- Add the rice to the rice cooker. Pour in the mix from step 2. DO NOT MIX THE TWO. The rice will cook on the bottom, the mix will cook on the top.
- Cook the rice following the rice cooker's instructions. I set mine to white rice using the harder cook setting (it leaves the rice a bit crunchier). It takes about 40 minutes with my rice cooker.
- When the rice is done cooking, add the rest of the spring onions, the cilantro, and the cooked eggs. Stir the rice to mix the ingredients and close the lid. Leave it in the "warm" setting for 10 minutes.
You are a genius!!! Seriously, I pledge my eternal loyalty to you and this amazing fried rice recipe! First, I have to brag a little...if you can believe it, I found a Zojirushi 5-cup rice cooker at a local consignment store in my tiny little town--what are the odds--at 75% off the sticker price. I paid a whopping $6.00. True story! Then I got it home and realized I had no idea what to cook in it! I LOVE fried rice, but I've tried many, many times to make it at home in a wok or skillet and failed miserably. So...did a Google search and found your recipe (and many more, but yours sounded and looked best).
I was a little nervous, as there are no reviews posted, but I went for it. Now, I'm thinking...what's wrong with you people??!! How can you not have tried this and posted a review??? Oh well, your loss. But I digress. Back to MY review...
This is truly excellent fried rice. I've eaten fried rice at restaurants, literally, all over the country, and this is as good or even better than the rice at at least 95% of them. It really is restaurant quality. The taste is excellent, with a wonderful blend of many, many flavors. Best of all--and this could just be the advantage of a really top quality rice cooker--the texture is perfect.
The blend and quantities of the liquids used gives a great base flavor and the rice turned out with a hint of firmness, but it still held together on the fork without being clumpy. All in all, I really loved it and will make it many times in the future, I'm sure. Thanks so much for sharing!!!
This was the very first thing we cooked in our new Zojirushi 3-cup rice cooker and it was AMAZING! We at fried rice for two days! We used bacon and shrimp (instead of sausage and chicken) and it turned out perfectly. If you're unsure of where to start in your rice cooking adventures, this recipe is it!