Recipe by Chocolatl
This is one of a number of historical recipes I am posting from my cookbook collection. It is adapted from the 1953 edition of Adventures in Good Cooking, by travelling salesman and food critic Duncan Hines, and featuring recipes collected from around the USA. This recipe is from Trader Vic's in Oakland, California. Long-grain rice is preferred.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 16 ounces cooked shrimp
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 4 eggs, well-beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a skillet over low heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender but not brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add celery, mushrooms and shrimp, and cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, soy sauce and salt, and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and stir well.
- Cook, stirring, until eggs are cooked, 2-3 minutes.