Recipe by tgobbi
An authentic Chinese fried rice that uses leftover ham. Shrimp or other ingredients can also be added. It can be prepared with or without soy sauce.
- cold, cooked long grain rice
- vegetable oil
- 1-2 beaten egg
- raw shrimp, cut in pieces (optional)
- leftover ham, diced (or any leftover meat, poultry or seafood)
- dry sherry
- light soy sauce (optional)
- frozen peas, defrosted
- sliced yellow onions or Spanish onion
- white pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- The rice should be smoothed out to get rid of any lumps.
- Day old, cold rice works best.
- If using eggs (recommended), lightly beat them with a pinch of salt.
- Heat a little oil in your wok, pour eggs in and tilt the wok back and forth to spread evenly.
- Lift the edges to let the uncooked portion come in contact with the hot pan so it cooks evenly.
- After the eggs set up a little, lightly scramble them so you have medium small pieces.
- Remove eggs to a bowl.
- Wipe out wok.
- If adding raw shrimp, heat a little more oil and stir fry them to just cook.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Wipe out wok again.
- Heat a little more oil.
- Add the onions& stir fry until they start to darken.
- Stir in the rice, breaking up any lumps you missed.
- Drizzle a little dry sherry down the sides of the wok.
- (The surface of the wok should be slick with oil. If too dry looking, drizzle a little more oil down the sides of the wok).
- If you want the rice to look brown, drizzle in a little light soy sauce.
- Stir in all of the other ingredients and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Continue to stir and cook until heated through.